Red-kneed Dotterel, Caspian Terns and Square-tailed Kites

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Mar - 31 May 2009.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Red-kneed Dotterel, Caspian Terns and Square-tailed Kites

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I took a quick turn around the Lockyer Valley yesterday morning eventually ending up at Bill Gunn Dam near Laidley where I got the only additional species for the TBO's " Autumn Beyond" list; a lone Red-kneed Dotterel. It was quite a good morning's birding despite the indifferent weather. A pair of Square-tailed Kites seen leisurely circling low down over Forest Hill township proper about 10.30am was probably the highlight of my day.

There was a lot of water mixed in with the birds at Bill Gunn Dam but my most interesting observation was that of six non-breeding adult Caspian Terns working the water there. A lone Great-crested Grebe was the only other bird of note seen at the dam.

On my outward drive this morning I also saw a small flock of six Speckled Warblers foraging along the roadside at Sawpit Gully Road, Rockmount. I can't recollect ever seeing so many of this species together before. Two, occasionally three birds seems to be the norm, in the local area at least.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Autumn Beyond - 2009”