Little Eagle, Rufous Fantail and others

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Jun - 31 Aug 2009.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Little Eagle, Rufous Fantail and others

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Stopped at Haigslea this morning (29/6) on the way home from Wynnum, hoping to jag those Red Goshawks Rod Hobson saw recently! No such luck, but some small compensation with a light phase Little Eagle flying over Missions Rd, just east of Sprengers store. Little Lorikeets also seen along here.

On Sunday morning, dad and I spent a productive hour at the Tingalpa reserve along Chelsea Rd and picked up the following species including a Rufous Fantail which I trust is overwintering - not an early Spring arrival!!?

Australian Wood Duck
Darter
Little Pied Cormorant
Australian White Ibis
Brahminy Kite
White-bellied Sea-Eagle
Silver Gull
Rainbow Lorikeet
* Rainbow Bee-eater
Striated Pardalote
Speckled Warbler
* Noisy Friarbird
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
* Mangrove Honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater
Eastern Spinebill - one bird in mangroves
Scarlet Honeyeater
Eastern Yellow Robin
Golden Whistler
Rufous Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
* Rufous Fantail - single bird near entrance on Chelsea Rd
Grey Fantail
Willie Wagtail
Spangled Drongo
Australian Magpie
Red-browed Finch
Silvereye

* new for Winter Beyond

Also heard what we assumed was a Collared Kingfisher in the mangroves - just the one time - but can anyone tell me whether they should even be around this time of year? Field guides say they are migratory in the southern part of their range, which I didn't know, so just assumed that's what it was. Did see a Sacred Kingfisher at South Tweed Heads in the mangroves the previous Sunday, just to throw a spanner in the works.

Seeing the Rufous Fantail, and also the Eastern Spinebill - a species I thought should be up in the hills this time of year, and hearing bee-eaters overhead, but not even hearing a Mangrove Gerygone, which I thought were sedentary, I'm rather confused re bird movements in bayside Brisbane. Surprised to see Speckled Warblers in this estuarine environment too!

Grateful for enlightenment :?

Return to “Winter Beyond - 2009”