White-headed Pigeons

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Jun 2008 - 31 Aug 2009. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

White-headed Pigeons

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Yesterday midafternoon I flushed three plump adult White-headed Pigeons from a Camphor Laurel in the parkland near the old Pumping Station at the corner of Mackenzie and South Streets, Toowoomba.

This species is fairly common in the vine scrubs on the Toowoomba escarpment and irregulary comes into suburbia to feed on Camphor Laurel and privet berries although the Camphor Laurel is not fruiting here at present.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

White-headed Pigeons in the usual place

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Rod

Coincidentally, I also saw my first suburban WHPs for the season on the same day, only around 4:15 pm - three feeding under the camphor laurel on the SW corner of Curzon and Margaret St T-junction. This is the place I consistently saw them year to year, starting in May, when commuting between Rangeville & Wilsonton. (See thread link below.)

.://..toowoombabirdobservers.org/f ... .php?t=163

I've never bothered to check, but assume they are feeding on the fallen fruit of the Camphor Laurels.

Cheers
Mick

Return to “Winter Within - 2009”