Red Goshawk

228 spp last year is the current record. Let's make 230 spp our goal for 2010.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Red Goshawk

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Red Goshawk seen flying over Upper Lockyer around 5pm on Saturday 20.02.10. I have delayed posting this until our Rarities Committee had a chance to check the five distant photos I managed as it glided away from me.

While I've had a few probables over the years, this is only my second positive sighting, both in the Upper Lockyer district where I currently live. Previously seen 23.11.08 by Rod Hobson, Plaxy Barratt and myself.

A bonus for the Challenge!

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Red Goshawk pictures

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

As there is a dearth of Red Goshawk flight shots on the web I've put my pictures, distant as they are, into a downloadable pdf file under the link "Pictures of a Red Goshawk Gliding" at:

.://toowoombabirdobservers.org.au/in ... &Itemid=46

Hope you find them useful. If anyone would care to contribute other red goshawk flight shots to this resource then please contact me at matzeni@westnet.com.au

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Red Goshawk

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Another probable sighting of the Red Goshawk this morning around 9am, fairly high up, and in a direct, swift glide over Murphy's Creek, Upper Lockyer.

I was alerted by the noisy miners which seem to give an earlier, more strident and urgent-sounding alarm call for this species in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately, no binoculars with me but the barrel-like body and distinctive wingset as shown in my recent pics were apparent, even with the naked eye.

Cheers
Michael Atzeni

Return to “The Challenge - 2010”