Wompoo Fruit-dove - Upper Lockyer

228 spp last year is the current record. Let's make 230 spp our goal for 2010.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Wompoo Fruit-dove - Upper Lockyer

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Standing on my deck around 8.30 this morning contemplating whether I should head up to my office to catch up on some work because there are too many distractions down here :D, I noticed the dark form of a long-tailed pigeon in a gum near the creek.

I grabbed the bins, already thinking it would be a Brown Cuckoo-dove, which I've seen a handful of times over the past 17 months that I've lived here at "Tiddalac". What a surprise to discover it was a Wompoo Fruit-dove! Before I could grab the camera, it was given short shift by the resident Noisy Miners, so just a very brief look.

There are only about a half a dozen TBO records of this species locally so a good record for the club. I note that Lord (1956) didn't report this species at all despite being a resident of Murphy's Creek for over 50 years at the time of his publication.

To top things off, after walking back from the creek in an unsuccessful attempt to relocate the wompoo, I saw, of all things, a Brown Cuckoo-Dove in the heavily vegetated garden at the back of the house. What are the odds???

Cheers
Mick

Reference
E.A.R. Lord (1956) The Birds if the Murphy's Creek District, Southern Queensland, The Emu, Vol 56, pp100-128.

Return to “The Challenge - 2010”