Swift Parrot

228 spp last year is the current record. Let's make 230 spp our goal for 2010.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Swift Parrot

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Two birds seen 4:50PM today at "Tiddalac", Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer, in the garden. A good yard tick!!

I'd heard unfamiliar parrots (a pair?; calling in flight) this morning near the creek, but was unable to locate them. Thoughts of Swift parrots and Coxen's Fig-Parrots immediately crossed my mind - always the optimist! Peach-faces, or some other exotic, too - also a realist!

About 4:45PM I finally got around to checking fig-parrot and swift parrot calls on computer. Swift Parrot seemed to fit, but I still wasn't positive and resigned myself to the fact. Then, at a whim, I decided I'd go and look for the resident platypus; late afternoon is a good time. It was just sheer luck that as I started off, I heard the same call I heard this morning. The birds were again in flight, and unsighted, only this time I saw roughly where they must have landed and I tracked down a Swift Parrot feeding in a eucalypt on the edge of the cliff face below my place. It and another took flight and I managed to locate one of them again feeding, before they both took off. Didn't see or hear them again from about 5pm.

For the record, this is my first sighting of Swift Parrots since the Glen Lomond Park (on southern Toowoomba escarpment) birds discovered by Al Young in Winter 2000. My records then were:

10/06/2000 Glen Lomond Park 20-30 birds; new bird for me
12/06/2000 Glen Lomond Park 27
26/08/2000 Glen Lomond Park 6+

Swift Parrots are a nationally threatened species and ALL sightings should be reported. Given this latest sighting, I encourage all readers to keep your eye out, especially where lorikeets are. (I have all four local species of lorikeet here at present, though Musks are now all but gone after an uncharacteristic influx into the Lockyer and other areas in SEQ this year).

Further Swift Parrot info and a recording of the call can be accessed at:

.://..birdsaustralia.com.au/our-pr ... arrot.html

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
sburke

First Swift Parrot for me

Post by sburke »

Thanks to a text from Mick after his sighting on Saturday arvo, I arranged to meet with some friends at Mick's place on Monday (August 9th) morning on my way to the Ekka. Mick found two for us but they were being harried by Noisy Miners and we must have looked funny scampering from tree to tree as they moved to avoid the bossy Miners. Sighting was made at 7.15am. It certainly is a distinctive call and not unlike a "Lovebird". I only got one really good look at one bird as for most of the time they were amongst the leaves. Dinstinctive features I noticed were the long and thin red tail, the red throat and forehead, purple crown, bright green underbody and red underwing which shows really well in flight.

Tick that for a spectacular lifer :) :lol:

And BTW the Ekka was much less spectacular.
Mick Atzeni

Swift Parrots at Upper Lockyer

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Swift Parrots are still at my place. Most seen has been three on 8/8/10. Only a couple here over the past week. Heard one this morning.

Couple of photos taken by Russell Jenkins on Sunday have been posted to his blog:

.://russelljenkinsstoop.blogspot.com/

Thanks Russ.

Cheers
Mick
Mick Atzeni

Swift Parrot

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Swift Parrots have now gone. Last recorded 19/8. Was a lot of fun having them around and glad a few others managed to see them. :D

Cheers
Mick
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thanks Mick. Very well spotted I must add!

Return to “The Challenge - 2010”