Silver Gull

228 spp last year is the current record. Let's make 230 spp our goal for 2010.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Bill Jolly

Silver Gull

Post by Bill Jolly »

One Silver Gull, winging its way upstream along the creek at Abberton on 8th October, 2010.

Bill Jolly
Mick Atzeni

Silver Gull

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Great record, Bill. Certainly wasn't banking on that one in the run home; one of the least recorded species locally.

Just checked my personal records. Missing one for a bird that hung around Lake Annand for a day or two, perhaps 20 years ago. Pat should be able to track that one down in the club records I hope. My only other records were both at Helidon 26 years ago!!

Silver Gull 29/07/1984 Hood's Dam, Helidon
Silver Gull 29/11/1984 Hood's Dam, Helidon

How many records at "Abberton"?

Mick
Bill Jolly

Silver Gull

Post by Bill Jolly »

Michael - the only previous record of Silver Gull at Abberton was in February, 1990.

I see the odd gull once in a while at Lake Freeman - not often - but they do turn up quite often, sometimes in numbers, at Seven Mile and Lake Atkinson.

Unexpected things often happen in October, and birds also seem to move around unpredictably when we get a lot of rain. So add the two together, like right now, and we've got a double-whammy! Anything could turn up!

Bill
gileas

Silver Gulls at Atkinson

Post by gileas »

Hi Bill and Mick,

Stuart Warren and I had several Silver Gulls at Lake Atkinson last Tuesday. Possibly one of these was the bird that made its way into the survey area?

Regards,
Chris

Return to “The Challenge - 2010”