Black Bittern breeding on Dogwood Creek

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Mar - 31 May 2010.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Black Bittern breeding on Dogwood Creek

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I was just going through my diary entries for last month when I came upon one that, aside to being of general interest also adds another species to the "Autumn Beyond - 2010" list.

The entry records the breeding of Black Bittern on Dogwood Creek in Barakula State Forest, SEQ. It is from DPI Forest Products employee Gary Alsemgeest and was accompanied by two very good photos of a pair of partially fledged youngsters on a semisubmerged tree in Dogwood Creek on April 3rd., 2010. Both youngsters are adopting the 'beak skyward, you can't see me' pose in the photographs. Gary told me that he'd also seen an adult bittern fly off, as he approached with his camera.

This is a very good record and I'd like to thank Gary for sending it to me.

Also, two less spectacular records to add for the "Autumn Beyond - 2010" list are of Common Bronzewing that Martin Ambrose and I recorded in Braemar State Forest on 15th April and Rose Robin that I saw and heard at Burrows' Waterhole, Sundown National Park on the 28th April.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Autumn Beyond - 2010”