Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Mar - 31 May 2010. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I saw a single Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo in The Weed Patch aka Redwood Park yesterday afternoon about 4.30pm. Quite a few Fan-tailed Cuckoos here recently as well, all quite vociferous at present.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A good record for there, Rod. Reckon you could count on one hand the number of records of this species in Redwood Park over the past 30 years.

It's also new for the Annual Challenge.

Cheers
Mick
Rod Hobson

Post by Rod Hobson »

Yes, Mick, it was quite a surprise to me as well. The bird was not in the dry vine scrub though but just along the ecotone on the Grass Tree Trail in the dry eucalypt woodland; near the junction of this track with the Redwood Forest Walk. GPS: GDA 94 - S 27.56444 deg., E 151.99678 deg. +/- 5 metres.

I was in there looking at the Black Flying-fox colony that has reappeared again this year. Also found another patch of luminous Ghost Fungus whilst heading back up the hill to Bridge Street after dark, not far from the junction of the Redwood Park Track with the Fern Tree Gully Walk.

An interesting evening.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Autumn Within - 2010”