South-east Queensland Big Year

For those doing a Big Year, or similar, report your progress here.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

gileas

South-east Queensland Big Year

Post by gileas »

Hi all,

I'm new on the forum (but I know or have met many of you before while birding). For 2010 I've decided to do something a bit different with my birding, and am doing a big year around SEQ. My goal is to see 350 species within 250km of Brisbane (but bounded by the QLD border in the south). It's going to be hard, but I've already managed some great birds this year - Pec Sand, Broad-billed Sand, Superb Fruit Dove, Lewin's Rail, and Grass Owl, and the year is only just getting underway. If anyone is interested in keeping up on my progress I'm keeping a blog at .://seqbirding.blogspot.com

Over the course of the year I'll be watching what people are finding in the challenges and probably asking a few questions about where to find certain difficult species. It should be a lot of fun.

Regards,
Chris Sanderson
John Kooistra

SEQ Big Year

Post by John Kooistra »

Hi Chris,
Good luck! Read your blog (great start!) and will
be following your progress through the year(if it takes that long!)
Cheers,
John Kooistra
Kureelpa, S.Coast
gileas

Oxley Creek Common

Post by gileas »

Hi all,

Not new for the year, but Black-necked Stork and Nankeen Kestrel at Oxley Creek Common this morning are good birds for suburban Brisbane. I'm off to Girraween tomorrow so should get lots of new birds for the year.

Chris
gileas

Up to 253 species for SEQ

Post by gileas »

Hi all, I've now made it to 253 species on my quest to get 350 for the year. I had a great Sunday at Girraween and Coolmunda, with 33 new year birds. Hooded Robin was probably the best of the day, at Old Wallangara Rd. White-winged Fairy-Wrens were easy at Coolmunda Dam. For a full account of the day, check out .://seqbirding.blogspot.com

Now I've reached 250, I'll be going through my remaining targets and will start asking people for advice on where to see things. I think there's not too many species I don't have a site for now, so hopefully I won't be overwhelming people with questions.

Here's one to start the ball rolling with: does anyone know any good spots for Wood Sandpiper?

Regards,
Chris
gileas

Motoring on

Post by gileas »

Hi all,

I'm up to 288 species, with the big surprise of the weekend being an early Double-banded Plover at Manly. Some good birds at Broadwater on Saturday too.

Regards,
Chris
Glenn McRae

Post by Glenn McRae »

Hi Chris,

You have inspired me to go do my own big year starting from 1st July, 10.

However I am off to a slow start due to work and family commitments and it is only for my own enjoyment anyway.

cheers and good luck on your Big Year.

Glenn McRae
It's a good day when you learn something new
gileas

Local big year

Post by gileas »

Glenn,

Welcome on board, the more the merrier. My advice is to sit down and make a list of targets, and plan which sites you need to visit, at what time of year. Then set out some rules. Mine are fairly restrictive (I have to see the bird, not just hear it; can't use tape playback) but given it's a competiton against yourself not other people, pick rules you think will provide a fun challenge, not ones that will make you enjoy your birding less.

I started this to learn more about my local region, since I am choosing not to travel to other states or countries this year to go birding. Since beginning I have already seen many birds I'd never seen in QLD or SEQ, and some I didn't even know occurred in the region. I've had 5 lifers too, with one more possible from terrestrial birds (Rufous Scrub-bird) and a few potentials on the pelagics from Southport. I also have several new favourite birding spots, and know new sites for a bunch of rare birds thanks to some very helpful people, some of which are on this forum.

Finally, keep track of your progress in this part of the forum - it wasn't created just for me, and we'd love to hear about what you get up to!

Regards,
Chris

Return to “Solo efforts”