Successful Seawatch at Stradbroke!

For those doing a Big Year, or similar, report your progress here.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

gileas

Successful Seawatch at Stradbroke!

Post by gileas »

Hi all,

I had a great seawatch today at Pt Lookout on North Stradbroke Island with Andy Jensen, plus local birders Tom and Marie Tarrant and Gavin Goodyear dropped in for the afternoon too. It was a spectacular day, despite some rainy squalls that came through at irregular intervals.

The highlight of the day was definitely the 21 Yellow-nosed Albatross, plus several Giant Petrels, one of which came close enough to identify as Northern Giant Petrel. We also had numerous Common Noddies and an Arctic Jaeger, both out of season. Some Prions and Fluttering-type Shearwaters made passes by the point, but none close enough to identify sadly.

I'm making a page for people who want to report seawatching results from Pt Lookout at the moment, you can check it out here:

.://birdo.wildiaries.com/trips/10247

(my trip report will appear there shortly, I just need to download some photos first).

Other great birds recently were Brown Booby, Black-browed Albatross, and even a possible White-fronted Tern. All this activity is making me really look forward to next week's Southport Pelagic, where I hope to get a swag of new year birds, and maybe even a lifer!

Regards,
Chris

Return to “Solo efforts”