Banded Lapwing + others

For those doing a Big Year, or similar, report your progress here.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

gileas

Banded Lapwing + others

Post by gileas »

It's been an eventful few weeks since I last posted to the forum. Towards the end of July I ducked out to Sheepstation Creek EP, near Caboolture and ticked Black-chinned Honeyeater for the year, finally. I followed this up early in August with a visit to Mt Tambourine and Witches Creek Falls which provided great views of Albert's Lyrebirds. I also visited the Binna Burra site for Rufous Scrub-bird but didn't even hear a single bird calling.

In the last couple of weeks I added two more to the list. At Girraween NP on the weekend I finally caught up with Chestnut-rumped Heathwren on the Junction Track, near the end. And on Tuesday this week I headed out into the Lockyer Valley looking to connect with a few more species I still need out there. Sadly we didn't find any Blue-winged Kookaburras, but I did see 11 Banded Lapwings at the Turf Farm, including a fluffy chick plus three birds probably sitting on eggs. Other interesting sightings for the day were a Black-necked Stork probably attending chicks in a nest, a White-bellied Sea Eagle, good numbers of Grey-crowned Babblers, and four Red-tailed Black Cockatoos near to Atkinson Dam. Despite not trying too hard we managed a total of 122 species for the Lockyer for the day, none too shabby.

Current year total for SEQ: 336

Regards,
Chris

Return to “Solo efforts”