Zimm's Corner Birds

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Jun - 31 Aug 2010. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Zimm's Corner Birds

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I saw three new birds for the 'Winter Within' list at Zimm's Corner, Kingsthorpe yesterday, 04th July viz.

Black Kite x 1
Red-rumped Parrot
Common Starling

But no White-rumped Miners, unfortunately. I haven't seen these birds in their accustomed farm yard for quite a while now. Other interesting birds seen in the Zimm's Corner area included Brown Falcon, Brown Goshawk and Tree Martin. On this day I recorded Tree Martins near the old Gowrie Mountain School and at Torrington as well. Just out of the TBO survey boundaries, along Speed Road at Oakey, I saw six Ground Cuckoo-shrikes that were eventually seen off by a disgruntled magpie. Also over the adjacent abattoir's dam were a couple of pelicans, six Black Kites, a pair of kestrels and a Whistling Kite at the time.

This morning I observed a flock of about 30 x Little Corellas flying over the Glenvale State School at 9.20am; also a new species for winter in the area.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Winter Within - 2010”