Two Black Falcons and Two Brown Falcons

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Jun - 31 Aug 2010.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis

Two Black Falcons and Two Brown Falcons

Post by Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis »

After school today two black falcons were flying in unison above The SCOTS PGC College Warwick. This is the first time I've seen two flying in this manner.

For approximately two years now I've been regularly seeing a resident brown falcon on the wires near the Nobby turnoff on the New England Highway. During spring last year, three brown falcons, one juvenile and two adults, were there. Just over a week ago, while driving back to Warwick from Toowoomba, I noticed two adult brown falcons perched on the wires. I'm wondering whether in the near future I will be again seeing three of them!

Thanks, Nick :D
NICHOLAS MATHESON-KOZAKIS

Another Black Falcon

Today driving north from Warwick and approaching the Eight Mile, a black falcon flew across in front of the car and towards a tree, scattering the resident parrots in it. However, the falcon kept flying in an easterly direction continously gaining altitude. I lost sight of it once we'd gone through the Eight Mile and were heading towards Cunningham's Gap.

Nick :D
Mick Atzeni

Black Falcon

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Thanks Nick.

Speaking of Black Falcons, I forgot to mention I had one fly over while doing field work at Adare on the Gatton-Esk Rd last Tuesday 20/7. Probably one of the Lake Clarendon birds.

Also, as my mate and I sat down for lunch that day in the shade of a gum, a Pacific Baza alighted directly above us. I had to move slightly - just in case ... :)

On the way down, I'd picked up a pair of Square-tailed Kites near the Helidon Spa.

As we left the Adare site a dozen Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos flew over.

A good day out of the office!

Cheers

Mick

Black Falcon

Another black falcon was over Warwick today. This time it flew over our house as we were leaving for school this morning. However, this was the day of the gale force winds and the way this bird was strongly flying into these winds was quite amazing!

Brown Falcon

Back to only the one brown falcon at the Nobby turnoff from the New England Highway today. Shame, can only hope to see the three there again soon this season. :D

Another sighting of a pair of Black Falcons at Warwick

While heading to The SCOTS PGC College this morning, a pair of black falcons flew at approximately tree height from Briggs’ Oval across the highway to a park on the northern side. Immediately, one was hassled by a pesky crow while the other gained altitude and flew westward. The first one frustrated the crow by engaging in the most elegant and tightly executed aerial acrobatics before just as suddenly hitting the hyper acceleration button and bee lining to its mate which was now quite a distance away, leaving the crow in its wake. Awesome goes some way towards describing this display.

Thanks, Nick
:lol:

Two Black Falcons Sighted Again

The two black falcons again flew over The SCOTS PGC College at lunch yestersday. I'm sure it's the same two we keep seeing.

Return to “Winter Beyond - 2010”