Fantastic outing - Durikai & Lake Coolmunda

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Sep - 30 Nov 2010.
sburke

Fantastic outing - Durikai & Lake Coolmunda

Post by sburke »

Well I finally got a couple of bogey birds off my wanted list. I had a terrific weekend with some fellow club members and visitors last weekend. A bit wet at times but nothing that stopped us doing what we enjoyed.

Lifers for me were:

Southern Whitefaces - Lake Coolmunda 25/9/2010
Mallee Ringnecks - Mosquito Creek Rd 25/9/2010
Eastern Crested Shrike-tits - Durikai Forest 26/9/2010
Turquoise Parrots - Durikai Forest 26/9/2010
White-browed Babblers - Durikai Forest 26/9/2010

Also good to see were three Ground Cuckoo-shrikes at Lake Coolmunda on 25/9/2010 and four Wandering Whistling Ducks on, but not with a large group of Plumed W/Ducks, the dam on Mosquito Ck Road on 25/9/2010. There were heaps of Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters at Durakai on 26/9/2010. Once we had the Shrike-tit call down pat, we were able to get several sightings there as well.

What a weekend. I still haven't been able to get the smile off my dial :lol:

Steve
gileas

Mallee Ringneck

Post by gileas »

Hi Steve,

I'd really appreciate some more information on the Ringnecks? Time of day, and if possible specific location or distance along the road would be great. As far as I'm aware this is a pretty rare bird in SEQ. I personally would like to chase it, and it would be good to get the word out to other birders too.

Regards,
Chris Sanderson
sburke

Post by sburke »

Hi Chris,

We saw the pair of birds on the western side of Mosquito Creek Road at about 4pm. The afternoon was overcast, it had been raining for most of the day but was fine at the time of the sighting. I would guess that the birds were seen between one to two kilometres from the highway but definitely before you get to the large dam also on the western side of the road.

All the best.

Return to “Spring Beyond - 2010”