White-winged Fairy-wrens near Jondaryan/Oakey

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Sep - 30 Nov 2010.
gileas

White-winged Fairy-wrens near Jondaryan/Oakey

Post by gileas »

Hi all,

I dipped yesterday on seeing Painted Honeyeater, but as a consolation prize Stuart Warren and I picked up White-winged Fairy-wrens on a little dirt road between Oakey and Jondaryan. According to the Atlas it is the eastern-most record ever, but I'd welcome any feedback from forumites on their sightings. Has anyone seen WWFW near Oakey before?

The location for the sighting can be found here:
.://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/tri ... 62/display

This includes a map pin near to where we saw the birds (can't see the exact bushes on the map, but there is a description that should help you find them).

Regards,
Chris Sanderson
Rod Hobson

White-winged Fairy-wrens - historical eastern record/s

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

The late Eddie Mann whom I knew quite well for several years prior to his death lived and worked in the Pittsworth area as a stock inspector prior to his retiring to Winwill quite a good few years ago now. Eddie was a keen field naturalist and told me that he remembered White-winged Fairy-wren from Pittsworth when he worked/lived there during his working career. Eddie has been gone now for over twenty years and had been retired for several years when I first met him so these would be very old records now. I have no trouble doubting their veracity, however, as Eddie knew what he was about. I only regret that I didn't take more details at the time. Pittsworth is due south of the location under discussion.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Spring Beyond - 2010”