Inglewood area

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Sep - 30 Nov 2010.
gileas

Inglewood area

Post by gileas »

Hi all,

Local birder Nick Leseberg and I ducked down to Inglewood on Tuesday and despite the near constant rain had a very successful day. We found Squatter Pigeon and Emu easily on Mosquito Creek Rd. Plum-headed Finches were everywhere and we saw them at Cement Mills Rd, Mosquito Creek Rd, Coolmunda Dam, and Inglewood at the Golf Course. We had a single Turquoise Parrot and Spotted Bowerbird at a site about 10km south of Inglewood near the start of the state forest on the road to Texas (don't know the name). I got GPS coordinates so I'll make a wildiaries trip report soon and post it here. Further down the road we flushed a Painted Button-quail and saw more Emu including a male looking after 5 stripey chicks. Rufous Songlarks were finally back at Cement Mills Rd, so hopefully Brown Songlarks aren't far behind (let me know if you see/hear one as I still need it for the year). At Durakai we heard Little Bronze, Horsfield's Bronze, Pallid and Channel-billed Cuckoo plus Koel. We also had an intermediate morph White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike.

We ducked home via Pilton hoping for a lucky Bustard, though sadly not finding any. We did have a Ground Cuckoo-shrike at a random farm dam we stopped at (again, took coordinates and will post soon). Our final stop for the day was Seven Mile Lagoon, where we had over 20 Banded Lapwings in the field near the Turf Farm. Still no migratory waders on the lagoon itself, but hopefully they will turn up soon!

Regards,
Chris Sanderson

Return to “Spring Beyond - 2010”