Button Quails

If you have a question, comment or feedback about the club, its activities or any local birds, please post your query here ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Wes & Norma Sturdee

Button Quails

Post by Wes & Norma Sturdee »

At about 10.15am on 6th July my husband and I were birdwatching on the corner of Winwill-Old Ropeley Road and Ambroses Road in the Tenthill area when we spotted a group of 5 quails. They were foraging at the side of the road near a dam, but as they stayed in the shade for some time, were difficult to identify. They eventually moved into the sunlight, and we were able to observe them more closely. Their backs appeared dark grey with distinct tacklike markings on them but as we attempted to get closer to them, they continued to move further away, keeping a distance of about 3 meters from us, finally we moved closer and they ran, at speed, to the other side of the road with heads held high where they took cover.
As we have not observed quails very much, we were wondering if anyone else has observed quail in this area acting in this manner, and could identify them for us.
Rod Hobson

"Button-quail" at Pechey Swamp

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Do you have any reason to believe that these birds were actually button-quail rather than true quail? Brown Quail are resident around the waterbody in question (Pechey Swamp). I've seen or heard them there regularly since the early 1990's. I lived only five minutes walk from that waterbody from 1992-94 so I know it well. I've also seen Little Button-quail and Red-chested Button-quail on the roadside there but very rarely. Painted Button-quail were on the hillside behind the swamp occasionally and Stubble Quail turned up irregularly in the adjacent fields. But Brownies were regulars, and judging by your description and the number of birds in the covey I'd go for Brown Quail. I saw a group of about seven of these birds at Pechey Swamp about three weeks ago.

Pechey Swamp is a great birding spot but a bit sad at present due to the drought. Over the years I've recorded Western Gerygone, Black-chinned Honeyeater, Painted Snipe, Freckled Duck, Blue-winged Kookaburra, Red-chested Button-quail, Little button-quail, Red-necked Avocet, Little Eagle and Plum-headed Finch around this swamp, to name a few of the more spectacular sightings. It's always worth a look.

Regards,
Rod Hobson.

Return to “Questions and Comments”