Nesting in house yard

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 March 2011 - 31 May 2011.
sburke

Nesting in house yard

Post by sburke »

Well now that things have settled a little on the house moving front I have been able to take a bit more time to notice things going on around me in the bird world. While hanging some washing out a couple of days ago I noticed a pair of Y/F Honeyeaters darting in and out of a lilly-pilly nearby. I had a quick look and found a beautiful little nest with two very close to leaving fledgelings. On the same day I saw a pair of B/F Cuckoo-shrikes carrying food back to a nest on the edge of our yard near the chook pen. Yesterday I found a Silvereye nest in another lilly-pilly in the yard while I was trimming it back. Lovely little nest with two blue eggs. I quickly retreated and am now watching from the lounge window. About a week ago we found a gerygone nest (most likely white-throated as there are lots here) also near the chook pen. It looks like, for want of a better word, a scrotum. At first we thought it was a catapillar nest but we found the little hooded entrance and worked out that the birds had just used catapillar nest material (complete with droppings) to disguise their nest. Oh and of course the doublebars are going hell for leather nest building all over the yard still.

Having coffee in the lounge this morning gave views of the the resident Bar-shouldered Dove on the powerline near the pool. I can hear a couple in the bush nearby at the moment. There is also a Peaceful Dove calling in the horse paddock.

Gotta go. Have a good day :)
sburke

Post by sburke »

The Silvereye eggs have hatched and the nest now contains two very naked chicks. I saw one of the parent Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes carrying a huge stick insect back to the nest yesterday. Their chicks must have a mighty appetite :) I think they are nesting in a native pine sort of thing (excuse the technical terms) just below the house.

TTFN :lol:

Return to “Autumn Beyond - 2011”