Square-tail Kite

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 March 2011 - 31 May 2011.
Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis

Square-tail Kite

Post by Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis »

A STK was hovering above the treetops behind The SCOTS PGC College Junior School today at morning tea. I then realised a pattern was emerging.

Two years ago on a late Saturday morning in late February Mum and I saw two STKs courting near the Equestrian Centre. Mid to late February last year, we saw two STKs over the park opposite Warwick Hospital and on the last day of summer this year I saw two STKs above Wood Street in Warwick. Interestingly, these are the only times we've seen a pair of STKs in and around Warwick and each incident occurred at about the same time of the year. Interesting!!!

Thanks, Nick :D
NICHOLAS MATHESON-KOZAKIS
sburke

Post by sburke »

Good observation Nick. Good record keeping will often highlight patterns like this.
Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis

Single STK

Post by Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis »

Late Wednesday afternoon (9/3) a single STK made an appearance over Warwick. This time it flew from approximately near where Wallace Street crosses the Condamine River, over Wood Street, down Dragon Street to Bracker Road (near where we saw our first for this season), before deciding to search for food in a paddock on the southern side of Bracker Road and between Rosenthal Creek and the railway line.

Thanks, Nick :D
NICHOLAS MATHESON-KOZAKIS

Return to “Autumn Beyond - 2011”