Ground Cuckoo-shrikes at Stoneleigh (Pittsworth)

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 March 2011 - 31 May 2011.
sburke

Ground Cuckoo-shrikes at Stoneleigh (Pittsworth)

Post by sburke »

Well a beautiful day was made even more spectacular when, on my way
out to the highway this morning 16/3/2011, I spotted three Ground Cuckoo-shrikes on the road verge. As I pulled up they flew to a nearby ironbark and stayed there giving me good views.

Also saw my first male Rufous Whistler, to go with the females I have been regularly spotting on "Russell-Ridge", in the trees at the top of the horse paddock yesterday 15/3/2011.

Large flock of Silvereyes (30) bathing in the new water feature outside the "viewing" window on Sunday morning 13/3/2011.

Two Sacred Kingfishers have suddenly appeared at the house. First sighted on Saturday 12/3/2011, they are seen every day now usually perched on top of the unfinished gazebo.

Spangled Drongos continue to appear in numbers (8 - 12) around the house and interact with the Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes.

Ciao :)
Mick Atzeni

Ground Cuckoo-shrike et al. @ Hirstglen

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Steve

Always good to see Ground Cuckoo-shrikes. I was fortunate to see one too at Peter Vernon's property at Hirstglen, along the Hirstvale-Gatton road, about 10km from the New England H'way, on Sunday. Peter sees them fairly regularly, and once nesting.

There was also Stubble Quail calling in the paddocks, and a probable King Quail flushed ahead of some cattle we were rounding up. The latter was one species I was hoping to see, as I've only ever seen them twice. Peter tells me he has had King Quail in his paddocks since late November. They turn up every year but this has been a particularly good season for them.

Other species seen at Vernon's on Sunday: Wedge-tailed Eagle, Brown Falcon, Nankeen Kestrel, Red-rumped Parrot, Pale-headed Rosella, Golden-headed Cisticola, Plumed-whistling Duck, Black Duck, Grey Teal, Masked Lapwing, White-faced Heron, Common Starling, Indian Myna, Superb Fairy-wren, Noisy Miner, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Rainbow Lorikeet, Torresian Crow, Black-faced cuckoo-shrike, Pied Butcherbird, Striated Pardalote, Crested Pigeon

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Autumn Beyond - 2011”