A few from the Gold Coast

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 March 2011 - 31 May 2011.
Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis

A few from the Gold Coast

Post by Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis »

Today (26/3), at Snapper Rocks (near Point Danger) I was showing Dad how to feed prawns to the black sea anenomes when a Grey-tailed tatler came to within about three metres of us. Out from Point Danger were some Australasian Gannets pursuing a shoal of fish, while over the Tweed River were two Whistling Kites.

Yesterday (25/3), Mum and I visited The Spit at dusk to see the usual Bushstone Curlews there. At Tallebudgera earlier that afternoon we saw our usual Osprey and Brahminy.

Thanks Nick :D
NICHOLAS MATHESON-KOZAKIS
gileas

Wandering Tattler

Post by gileas »

Hi Nick, could your bird possibly have been a Wandering Tattler? They are more frequently seen feeding on rocks than Grey-tailed Tattler, and are very difficult to separate. The calls are different though. There's a useful comparison table here: .://birdsqueensland.org.au/downloads ... _table.pdf

There was a useful discussion a few months back on Birding-Aus about the finer points, but I find if you can hear them call it makes the job a lot easier.

Regards,
Chris Sanderson
Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis

Tatler

Post by Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis »

Hey Chris!

Thanks for your advice. I always stand to be corrected as I'm still learning the trade.

Dad and I did hear the call and I decided it sounded like the description given in Pizzey and Knight, that is a strident klee, klee, klee, klee, tooee, tooee. I have to admit that I've only knowingly seen one other tatler and that was at the rock pools at Miami Heads, but I didn't hear it call, thus making this the first tatler call I've heard.

Therefore, inexperience is one of my downfalls and hence I'm always prepared to stand corrected. Thanks for the direction to the Bird Aus discussion as I should pursue it and learn.

TC, Nick :D
NICHOLAS MATHESON-KOZAKIS

Return to “Autumn Beyond - 2011”