Richard's Pipit and White-breasted Woodswallow

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 June 2011 - 31 August 2011. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

On my way back into Toowoomba early this morning I saw a small huddle of six White-breasted Woodswallows on an overhead powerline towards the western end of Hursley Road.

Also, another addition to the winter list is of three Richard's Pipits that I observed on Cambooya Street, Drayton whilst dog-walking there on the morning of 13th of this month.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Last edited by Rod Hobson on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Atzeni

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Hey Rod

Both of these are new for the year as well.

I'll have a look for the woodswallows as I've never seen one in our local survey area and have been trying for 32 years! I'd say yours is also the first record on western side of Toowoomba. I only know of records from Helidon, and maybe one from Withcott before I joined TBO (pre-1979).

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Rod Hobson

White-breasted Woodswallows

Post by Rod Hobson »

Mick,

I was quite surprised about these woodswallows in that area as well, in fact I had to do a double-take on the sighting. I was travelling towards the city when I glimpsed the birds and had to go on quite a distance before I could turn safely to confirm my initial sighting. They were near a small dam on the right-hand side of the road, as you drive west.

I've been working around the eastern downs quite a bit lately and Richard's Pipits are very common there now and right in to the western edges of Toowoomba.

I didn't realise that these were both new records for the year though. Can you include them on the yearly list then, thanks?

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Winter Within - 2011”