Painted Button-quail and Black Falcon

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 June 2011 - 31 August 2011. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Painted Button-quail and Black Falcon

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

On the afternoon of the 05th of this month I went for a walk to Mount Table Top. On my way down Table Top Drive, just after its junction with South Street, I noticed that the council had slashed the sides of the road exposing the ground surface. I also saw that this was literally covered in button-quail feeding scrapes (platelets) that I deduced from previous observations in this area to be of Painted Button-quail. On my return walk I managed to see a male of this species in the very same area, which helps confirms my supposition.

Yesterday morning, the 10th of July, I was walking the mutt along Nass Road at Preston when I heard a cacophony of bird alarm around about. The cause of all this excitement then showed itself in the slick livery of the Black Falcon. The raptor was cruising nonchalantly towards the north-west at height over the eucalypt woodland; always a nice bird to see.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Winter Within - 2011”