Brush Cuckoo et al.

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 June 2011 - 31 August 2011. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Brush Cuckoo et al.

Post by Rod Hobson »

Mick,

Three late additions to the "Winter Within - 2011" list:

Peaceful Dove - Prince Henry Drive, Toowoomba on 27.08.11

Little Friarbird - Webb Street, Toowoomba on 28.08.11

Brush Cuckoo - Table Top Drive, Toowoomba on 28.08.11

Also on walk back from Table Top yesterday afternoon recorded some other nice critters including a pair of Dusky Woodswallows, three Speckled Warblers, Striped Honeyeaters and a large and well-conditioned Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis). Burton's Legless Lizards (Lialis burtonis) have been common on this road the last week or so, as well.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Dusky Woodswallows

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Rod

On the subject of Dusky Woodswallows, Russell Jenkins and I witnessed a migration of this species yesterday over "Tiddalac", Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer, around 11AM. Looked hard to see if there was a mixed flock but appeared to be all Duskies. There were a couple of martins with them but was unable to get a positive ID.

We also picked up Little Friarbird so perhaps a late winter movement into the area has occurred?

Your Brush Cuckoo seems like an early arrival to me. Have not seen or heard one since early-March when I moved to Middle Ridge.

Cheers
Mick
Rod Hobson

Going Cuckoo

Post by Rod Hobson »

Mate,

Perhaps some of these 'early' birds (Pallid, Brush and Fan-tailed Cuckoos) are actually overwintering birds, as I believe that all of these species have been recorded as doing so in SEQ. A lot of the reports for these species are usually 'heard only' reports so some could have easily been present and undetected throughout winter because they'd stopped calling. And maybe they are just finding their voice a bit earlier this year? Just a thought.

I got an e-mail from Terry today who heard his first koel on the Cairns Esplanade this morning. It'll be interesting to see how long they take to reach here.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Winter Within - 2011”