Some More for Winter Beyond 2011

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 June 2011 - 31 August 2011.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Some More for Winter Beyond 2011

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I've just spent the week doing a fauna survey of the remnant native grassland along the verges of the Bowenville-Norwin Road between the Bowenville Reserve and the Warrego Highway. I was very happy to have trapped several of my target species for the endeavour viz. Tunney's (Pale Field) Rat (Rattus tunneyi). These native rats live in loose aggregations but are not truly colonial in the true sense of the word. They are quite docile for a Rattus and breed in autumn in SEQ. I was glad to find lots of fat and healthy subadults this week indicating a successful breeding season following the recent flooding rains in the area. They're truly a lovely rodent. Unfortunately the House Mouse (Mus musculus) is also doing quite well there at present.

Many raptors appear to be responding to the rodent numbers and Australian Kestrels, Black-shouldered Kites and Eastern Barn Owls were around in numbers during this work. Additional bird species for winter 2011 recorded this week, as follows:

Bowenville-Norwin Road, Bowenville SEQ:

28.06.11:

White-necked Heron
Australian Kestrel
Brown Quail (abundant)
Rock Dove
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Australian Pipit
Fairy Martin
Superb Fairy-wren
Common Starling
Zebra Finch

Bowenville Reserve, Bowenville SEQ:

28.06.11:

Red-rumped Parrot
Red-winged Parrot
Eastern Barn Owl
Southern Boobook
Noisy Friarbird
Plum-headed Finch (about 30 individuals)

Carbeenia Park, Bowenville SEQ:

30.06.11:

House Sparrow
Apostlebird

Warrego Highway, Oakey SEQ:

28.06.11:

Black Kite

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Winter Beyond - 2011”