Ground Cuckoo-shrikes at Mt Tyson

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 June 2011 - 31 August 2011.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

sburke

Ground Cuckoo-shrikes at Mt Tyson

Post by sburke »

Hi all,

Again this morning I observed three Ground Cuckoo-shrikes at the Mt Tyson and Pittsworth/Oakey road intersection.

Sightings of these three birds have occurred at this same spot on the following occasions:

July 4th 2011
June 23rd 2011
June 20th 2011
June 15th 2011

Also sighted regularly on the way to work (around 7.30 am) within 100 metres of the Nev Bidgood Park on the Pittsworth/Oakey Rd, a family of White-winged Choughs.

Cheers :D
sburke

Seen again

Post by sburke »

I saw four Ground Cuckoo-shrikes yeterday afternoon about 4.30 pm 8/7/11 and again this arvo at about the same time 4.20 pm 9/7/11 on Cronin Rd, Mt Tyson about 100 metres from the Mt Tyson and Pittsworth/Oakey Rd intersection.

They have been hanging around this intersection for quite a while now. I don't mind because if you stay in your car you can get to within 20 metres of them.

Cheers
sburke

Seen again

Post by sburke »

The four Ground Cuckoo-shrikes that I regularly see on the way to work were in their usual area this morning. At around 7.15 am on 18/7/11 I saw them about 40 metres up Cronin Rd at the Mt Tyson and Oakey/Pittsworth Rd intersection.

I think they are getting used to me stopping and saying hello. But I wish I was smart enough to have my camera in the car on one of these occasions.

Ciao :)
sburke

Yep seen again

Post by sburke »

This morning at 7.20 am 19/07/11 I saw the four Ground Cuckoo-shrikes again in their favourite tree at this time of the morning. They were all huddled together to keep warm on this bleak, foggy and cold Darling Downs morning about 3 metres from the ground.

I will have to give them each a name shortly if they hang around for much longer.

Happy birding :D
sburke

More sightings

Post by sburke »

Wednesday morning 20/7/2011 on the way to work - four Ground Cuckoo-shrikes in their usual dead tree on Cronin Rd at 7.20 am.

Thursday morning 21/7/2011 on the way to work - five Ground Cuckoo-shrikes today in the same dead tree on Cronin Rd at 7.15 am.

I really like these birds. They are so reliable (at the moment anyway).

Cheers :wink:
sburke

Camera this time

Post by sburke »

Yes they were in the same tree again today 22/7/11 at 7.15 am. I did have my camera today and got one decent shot until a car came along and the group scarpered to the shelter of some trees away from the road.

Ciao :)
sburke

Outrage

Post by sburke »

I was on my way to work this morning, looking forward to seeing my Ground Cuckoo-shrikes, but was mightily outraged to see that someone has knocked down the dead trees over the weekend that these lovely birds have been using to get their early morning rays. I am devestated that I may not see my little family again. Poo on you whoever knocked down the trees.

Goodbye my feathered friends :(
sburke

There still making me smile

Post by sburke »

On the way home this afternoon (29/7/11, 4.30pm) my spirits were lifted when I spotted my Ground Cuckoo-shrikes (5) beside the Oakey/Pittsworth Road still near the Mt Tyson intersection in another dead tree. I'm not sure if they prefer dead trees or if perching in a dead tree just makes them more noticeable but I am over the moon that my birds are still around for us to enjoy.

Now I can hope to get some more photo's of them.

Happy birding :)
sburke

Birds of a feather

Post by sburke »

Hi all,

Welcome to the latest posting regarding my Ground Cuckoo-shrikes. I saw them again this morning (1/8/11) at 7.20 am very close to the Mt Tyson/Pittsworth intersection on the Cronin Rd side. All five were again in the dead branches of a stand of wattle.

Cheers :)
Mick Atzeni

Ground Cuckoo-shrike at Helidon too.

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Steve

Thanks for the ongoing thrills and spills. Enjoying your emotional journey.

You'll be pleased to know there are also some hanging around the Helidon explosives reserve
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Campbell Andrew <Andrew.Campbell@deedi.qld.gov.au> wrote:

Hey Mick,

Hope things are well, got a few more birds to identify. They've been hanging around and feeding on the ground for the last couple of weeks?

Cheers, Andrew.
Andrew sent me photos so was able to identify them from those.

Cheers
Mick
sburke

Afternoon delight

Post by sburke »

Well I was on my way home from Census Officer training yesterday afternoon at Mt Tyson when I spotted the five Amigos aka the five Ground Cuckoo-shrikes sitting together on a power line not far from Mt Tyson township.

It is a little humurous, well to me anyway, that every sighting I have had of this group has been while they are perched and not on the ground at all. Maybe I have discovered a new species......... the Perched Cuckoo-shrike :D

Happy birding.

Return to “Winter Beyond - 2011”