Bush-hen

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Sep 2011 - 30 Nov 2011. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Bush-hen

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

I find it extraordinary, following the devastating flood in January, that the Bush-hen is still here at "Tiddalac", Upper Lockyer. First heard Sunday 23/10/11 - the day I moved back. Calling again yesterday evening. I haven't lived on-site for 7mo but it would appear that it never left the property; just retreated further uphill into the lantana thicket after all its creekside habitat was stripped to the bedrock on Jan 10.

The bush-hen, along with the platypus (at least two still here from time to time), are two species I thought would not be around during my second stint. And my very first day back, I added bird #156 to the property list - Black-fronted Dotterel. As usual, "Tiddalac" is full of surprises. It's good to be back.

Cheers
Mick
Mick Atzeni

First visual of Bush-hen since January floods

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Today I managed to see Tiddalac's elusive Bush-hen for a change, not just once, but twice.

Early this morning, I heard it calling directly out from the cottage - it is usually calling from further downstream - and I managed to locate it with my bins, from the deck. I watched it through the scope as it picked its way through the rocks in the creek bed below the cottage. A couple of times it came into full view as it walked over a rock but mostly it skulked amongst the weeds, their movement betraying his location. I guess I saw it on and off for about 5 minutes before I had to go.

Then this afternoon around 6:30, it flushed from rank vegetation on my side of the creek, about 20m from where I last saw it this morning. Appears it spent the whole day within easy viewing from the deck (the creek tracks much closer to the cottage since the January flood so you get a good view looking down on them now; I see a pair of buff-banded rails occasionally in the same section). Would have been a great day to stay at home - and I was feeling lousy all day too after catching a chill last night at Christmas Carols. Bummer!

I mention this because I am fascinated by this bird still being here and am curious to find out its routine now that its habitat is so altered. This is the first time I've seen the bush-hen since moving back in mid-Oct though I have heard it most days. And it's the first decent sighting from my deck - now that Mother Nature has provided me with my own private Grand Canyon with minimal vegetation to block the view.

Would love to know how many others are lurking along the creeks in this region and whether this is the most inland location in SEQ; I reckon it is. Though rarely seen, the presence of a bush-hen is so obvious this time of year once you know the call. It would be good to organise a public awareness campaign in the Murphys Creek area for this and other interesting species recorded in the district.

Cheers
Mick

Return to “Spring Within - 2011”