Baillon's Crake

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Sep 2011 - 30 Nov 2011. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

smyliekylie

Baillon's Crake

Post by smyliekylie »

(Sorry, Mick, was too excited, had to post it)

Hi everyone,
Yay, today (27.11.11) Olive B, Mick A and myself went to Helidon Spa Golf Course to check off Baillon's Crake. Successful in every way..Yay! Also saw a couple of White-breasted Woodswallows.

My first Plum headed Finches (beautiful colours!) and Reed Warblers (very cute, such a strong call for such a teeny little bird). Several others of course, but these were the highlights.

My first dedicated trip to check off a bird, what has Mick got me into? Where to next? :wink:

Thanks to Graham Allum for being the tour guide, even provided golf buggies! Very fun.

Feel free to add anything I forgot Mick,
Cheers all,
Kylie G.
Mick Atzeni

White-breasted Woodswallows

Post by Mick Atzeni »

No worries Kylie.

As Kylie and the others know, that White-breasted Woodswallow was a very significant moment for me: when it arced out from a dead branch and called, 32 frustrating years of never seeing one in the TBO survey area came to an end. I had closure. My local bogey bird was no more.

And to top things off, we picked up the Baillon's Crake late in the day - no sign of him earlier though. I hadn't seen this species in the survey area for nearly 29 years.

For the record, here are my local sightings since joining TBO in 1979.

Baillon's Crake 23/04/1982 Hood's Dam, Helidon
Baillon's Crake 01/08/1982 Hood's Dam, Helidon
Baillon's Crake 25/08/1982 Hood's Dam, Helidon
Baillon's Crake 06/12/1982 Hood's Dam, Helidon
Baillon's Crake 09/12/1982 Hood's Dam, Helidon
Baillon's Crake 05/01/1983 Hood's Dam, Helidon
Baillon's Crake 31/01/1983 Hood's Dam, Helidon
Baillon's Crake 26/02/1983 Hood's Dam, Helidon

All very serendipitous. Thanks Graham for your unbridled enthusiasm and cooperation.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Spring Within - 2011”