My patch

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Sep 2011 - 30 Nov 2011.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

sburke

My patch

Post by sburke »

A new bird for my property list "Russell Ridge" at Stoneleigh and the first for me for the season.

Rainbow Bee-eaters 15/09/2011 Stoneleigh

While out horse riding on Sunday afternoon we were graced by the presence of a Wedge-tailed Eagle flying low over us and then by a pair of Black-shouldered Kites also flying close and low. I was surprised at how much bigger they appear in flight as opposed to sitting on a perch.

Also have seen the first Blue-tongued Lizards for the season in the garden. No snakes yet but they can't be far away.

Cheers :)
sburke

Woodswallows

Post by sburke »

Thanks to Mick Atzeni's heads up about Woodswallows being on the move over Toowoomba, I was keeping an ear open & binnies handy while doing some gardening this morning. At about 11.20 am I heard some Woodswallows overhead, raced to get the binnies from nearby, and was lucky enough to get onto a small mixed group of 14 White-browed and Masked Woodswallows. They were heading west on exactly the same flightpath as the Rainbow Bee-eaters from a couple of days earlier.

They are new to my property list, which now stands at 74, and the first for the season for me.

Great day :D

Return to “Spring Beyond - 2011”