White-throated Gerygone's nesting

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Sep 2011 - 30 Nov 2011.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

sburke

White-throated Gerygone's nesting

Post by sburke »

Those who came to the outing here at Russell-Ridge in May would remember the intricate W/T Gerygone nest near the aviaries. A couple of days ago I was coming back from the chook pen when I noticed two W/T Gerygone's in the same tree. It appeared that they were looking for their old nest, which had disappeared in the months since, and I hope they build a new one in the same tree. They let me get to within three metres from them.

This morning one of the pair was sitting on the fence near my car and flew to their tree as I came close. Fingers crossed they decide to hang around again this year and we can watch as they build their lovely hanging nest.

Cheerio :)
sburke

Started the nest

Post by sburke »

I went down to feed the chooks this morning and saw the pair of W/T Gerygone's in the area. I went over to their tree and saw nothing but then looked over to the dead Hakea next to it and there was the beginnings of a new hanging nest. I began to whistle and the two Gerygone's came over check me out and were most accomodating. Funny thing is I was going to cut the dead Hakea down this weekend........not now.

I can see us developing a good relationship over the nesting period.

Cheers :)

Return to “Spring Beyond - 2011”