250 Ks goes a long way: further than I told you ...

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Sep 2011 - 30 Nov 2011.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

250 Ks goes a long way: further than I told you ...

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Ballina-based, regular contributor Steve McBride has kindly brought to my attention that the 250km radius we've been using is actually only about 215km. Must have been a faulty pencil compass, or the scale was wrong. Then again, could have been my Gr 8 Techl Drawing teacher's fault. :lol:

Anyway, the handy online tool Steve sent me, at the link below, for drawing and displaying circles on maps, is what I should have used:

.://..freemaptools.com/radius-arou ... &fc=00FF00

It shows a 250km radius around Toowoomba goes as far south as Yamba on the coast, includes Maclean, includes the Pacific Hwy as far south as Cowper, falls just short of Ulmarra, falls just short Grafton, includes Summerland Way as far as south as Junction Hill, includes all of Gwydir Hwy between Glen Innes & Grafton except last 10km into Grafton, goes down New England Hwy to about 8km south of Glen Innes, etc.

To the north it takes in the southern part of Fraser Island. Mundubbera and Gayndah. To the NW it falls just short of Wandoan.

Consequently, here are more of Steve's sightings we can include:

Black Kite – 13/9/11 Pacific Hwy, approx. 2km south of Maclean.
Emu – 20/9/11 Pacific Hwy, approx. 2km south of Maclean
Ground Parrot – 21/9/11 Dirawong Reserve Evans Head
Southern Emu-wren – 21/9/11 Broadwater NP, near Evans Head.

Thanks Steve. Hopefully, now that readers can see the area covered we can attract more players, as we continue to demonstrate the rich diversity of birdlife within easy reach of regional bases like Ballina and Toowoomba.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Spring Beyond - 2011”