Additions from the Dalby District

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Dec 2011 - 29 Feb 2012.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Additions from the Dalby District

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I've just spent the last wet week doing incidental fauna surveys of a few of the many state forests of the Dalby-Chinchilla district on the Darling Downs. Unfortunately the majority of these estates have had very little to no attention from the natural history community despite being wonderful repositories for a wealth of Brigalow Belt flora and fauna. This is not the case though for the gas and mineral industries. Their gluttonous and unconscionable quest for the unholy dollar has already brought the majority of these state forests under their baleful scrutiny. The health and well-being of our environment is of no consequence to these industries when there's a quid to be made despite their verbose but empty posturings to the contrary. It's a dire time, indeed, for Queensland's (and Australia's) plants and animals, as well as our pastoral and agricultural industries. And they keep telling us that we've never had it so good but, inevitably, we'll need to 'pay the piper' for the so-called 'good times'.

Anyway, climbing down off my soap-box here then are my additions for "Summer Beyond 2011-12":

Dalby - 05th December 2011:

Yellow-throated Miner
Yellow-rumped Thornbill
Rufous Whistler
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
White-throated Needletail
Fairy Martin

Dalby Abattoirs Reserve- 06th December 2011:

Peaceful Dove
Cockatiel

Lake Broadwater Conservation Park - 06th December 2011:

Royal Spoonbill

Bowenville - 06th December 2011:

Eastern Barn Owl

Bowenville - 08th December 2011:

Stubble Quail
Brown Songlark

Kupunn - 07th December 2011:

Emu

Boondandilla State Forest - 07th December 2011:

Common Bronzewing
Silvereye
Weebill
Jacky Winter

Waar Waar State Forest - 07th December 2011:

Australian Raven
Noisy Friarbird
Fuscous Honeyeater

Bunya Mountains National Park - 08th December 2011:

Bassian Thrush

Dalby State Forest - 09th December 2011:

Little Lorikeet
Painted Button-quail
Square-tailed Kite
Speckled Warbler
White-plumed Honeyeater
Yellow Thornbill

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Russell

Post by Russell »

Nice bit of wording. Australia is going through a frightening time. Everything the administrators are doing is opposite to the advice I read 20 or more years ago in Australian Government educational materials.
Russell

russelljenkinsstoop.blogspot.com

Return to “Summer Beyond - 2011-12”