Six more from Sunshine Coast

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Dec 2011 - 29 Feb 2012.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Six more from Sunshine Coast

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Black Bittern 11/12/11 northern Pumicestone Passage, Sunshine Coast Greg Roberts
Gull-billed Tern 11/12/11 northern Pumicestone Passage, Sunshine Coast Greg Roberts
White-winged Black Tern 11/12/11 northern Pumicestone Passage, Sunshine Coast Greg Roberts
Collared Kingfisher 19/12/11 Coochin Creek, Sunshine Coast Greg Roberts
White-eared Monarch 10/12/11 Yandina Greg Roberts
Shining Flycatcher 19/12/11 Coochin Creek, Sunshine Coast Greg Roberts
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Five more from pelagic trip off Moolooloaba, 14/1/12

Post by Mick Atzeni »

These courtesy of Greg Roberts who organises these trips. I didn't even have Red-tailed Tropicbird on my possibles list!

Red-tailed Tropicbird
Buller's Shearwater
Hutton's Shearwater
Bridled Tern
Sooty Tern

See Greg's photos and reports at:
.://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com/
.://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/bir ... 00260.html

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Rod Hobson

Red-tailed Tropicbird in SEQ

Post by Rod Hobson »

Mick,

The Red-tailed Tropicbird obviously slipped under the radar when the list of possibilities for SEQ was initially compiled. There are a few references for this species within the area under discussion. From "The Birds of South-East Queensland" Greg Roberts (1979), Queensland Conservation Council:

"Vagrant. Four storm derelicts have been recorded from Brisbane, North Stradbroke Island, and the Sunshine and Gold Coasts between February and April."

In "Seabird Observations on North Stradbroke Island, Queensland" in "Focus on Stradbroke" (1984) Boolarong Publications, Brisbane the authors Anita Smyth and Chris Corbin record the species as a beach derelict on the island.

I certainly got them occasionally on Fraser Island and in Cooloola when I was working there with QPWS in the 1990's. The White-tailed Tropicbird was a much more commonly encountered species in this area though, especially storm pummeled youngsters.

Interestingly there was a Red-tailed Tropicbird that appeared in Toowoomba, as a storm derelict years ago, when I was a youngster - and that was years ago! I remember the late Toowoomba naturalist Pat Walker showing me the carcass, which was picked up outside the old fire station in Kitchener Street. There was an article in the local newspaper on the find at the time. I have no idea whatsoever, as to the date but somewhere between the late 1950's and mid-late 1960's. The eventual fate of the specimen is also a mystery.

I'm sure SOSSA would be able to comment on its experiences with this bird in SEQ waters as well.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Two more from Sunshine Coast

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Thanks Rod. I have a vague recollection the late John Izzard found a blow-in at Ballina too, back in the '80's.

You've also prompted me to look up the date the Black-winged Petrel was found at Cabarlah, north of Toowoomba. It was 6/05/1996, and was handed into local vet Bob Doneley. Can't remember what became of it though.

Anyway, I digress.

Yesterday, Greg Roberts recorded Fairy Gerygone and Spotted Harrier at Mudjimba and Maroochy River flats, respectively. Some interesting discussion, and photos, at this link:

.://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com/ ... er-on.html

Cheers
Mick

Return to “Summer Beyond - 2011-12”