Sightings around Stoneleigh - Pittsworth

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Dec 2011 - 29 Feb 2012.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

sburke

Sightings around Stoneleigh - Pittsworth

Post by sburke »

This morning on the way to work 7.50 am Friday 24/2/2012 I observed a flock of 27 Chestnut-breasted Mannikins feeding on seed heads and sitting on the fence near "The Rockies", a well known creek crossing and swimming hole not far from home, which were joined while I was there by another flock of 18 Chestnut-breasted Mannikins.

On Monday afternoon 20/2/2012 I saw 2 Brown Honeyeaters which are uncommon visitors to our garden at "Russell-Ridge" and haven't been seen since this time last year. I also had my first sighting (this summer)since this time last year here at home of a single Sacred Kingfisher on Tuesday 21/2/2012.

There don't seem to be the same range or quantity of birds here this summer as there was last summer. No Spangled Drongo's here at all so far this summer and only a couple of Dollarbirds 11/2/2012.

Side note from my sister in Brisbane who lives close to a large area of native bush in the middle of a new housing estate near Taigum. A very frazzled pair of Torresian Crows feeding a very loud and demanding young Channel-billed Cuckoo.

Cheers :)

Return to “Summer Beyond - 2011-12”