Black-chinned Honeyeater

Provided flooding rains don't spoil the party again, only slackness will prevent us nailing 230+ species this year.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Michael Wood

Black-chinned Honeyeater

Post by Michael Wood »

A Black-chinned Honeyeater was calling from the property immediately to the south of Ashlands Drive Reserve on 6/7/2012.
Michael Wood
Mick Atzeni

Black-chinned Honeyeaters

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Michael

Following on from your record, I heard Black-chinned Honeyeaters in the Ashlands Drive reserve this morning - a first for me there. I'm also fairly certain I heard one along Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer (at the Yellow-tufted Honeyeater site) - only my second for Upper Lockyer (previously heard 14/2/2010). And yesterday, I saw a flock of about half a dozen along the Fifteen Mile Rd, near Horrocks Rd, Fifteen Mile - my first record in the Murphys Creek / Fifteen Mile area.

My only other local records have been around Helidon (at the cattle dip in 1993 and a handful of sightings along Conners Rd ). My closest records beyond the club area are at Adare Rd swamp, north of Gatton.

Interestingly, Lord (1956), who had lived in the Murphys Creek district for 54 years at the time of writing, only recorded them over a relatively short period and I quote:
"During 1930 and the years following up to 1936 they were frequently seen, but no nesting was recorded."
Are we witnessing another local influx? Any other sightings around the traps this year??

Certainly a very enigmatic, patchy and unpredictable species locally, especially compared to the other honeyeaters.

Cheers
Mick

Reference
Lord, E.A.R. (1956) The Birds of the Murphy's Creek District, Southern Queensland). The Emu. 56:100-128.
Mick Atzeni

More Black-chinned Honeyaters

Post by Mick Atzeni »

More Black-chinned Honeyeaters (BCHE) heard and seen last Sunday in Murphys Creek area along Penderests Rd, adding further weight to my theory of an influx into the area. The call is so distinctive, they are hard to overlook.

These birds were in the same area we recently saw Red-chested Button-Quail, which we also heard on Sunday.

Any other recent records of BCHE?
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Hello Mick

Apart from my initial report of Black-chinned Honeyeater at Ashlands Drive on 6th of July, the were also recorded there on August 25th and October 31st.

Also, as with yourself, I recorded Black-chinned Honeyeaters at Penderests Road on November 11th (1 bird) and November 16th (2 birds) -Unfortunately, no good views of Red-chested Button-Quail.)

Other than that, I have no other local records of the species.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Wood
Pat McConnell

Black-chinned Honeyeater

Post by Pat McConnell »

Hello Mick and Michael. I also heard Black-chinned Honeyeater at Ashland's Drive on Monday 19 November. I had a good morning's birding, also seeing Hoary-headed Grebe at Ashland's Drive and a male Chestnut Teal on a small dam near Helidon as well as Latham's Snipe at Hood's Dam.
Mick Atzeni

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Thanks Pat & Michael.

Michael & I also recorded Black-chinned Honeyeaters along Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer, on Sunday 25/11. Same spot as before, about 1km from railway underpass.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Heard Black-chinned Honeyeaters calling again today at Ashlands Drive bush reserve, Postmans Ridge.
Michael Atzeni

Return to “The Challenge - 2012”