Eastern Osprey

Provided flooding rains don't spoil the party again, only slackness will prevent us nailing 230+ species this year.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Bill Jolly

Eastern Osprey

Post by Bill Jolly »

An Eastern Osprey flew downstream along the creek at Abberton at around 12.45 this-afternoon, then turned to head south-east over land more or less along Flagstone Creek Road - and further inside the TBO survey area!

This is the first Osprey here since November 2004. Most of our Osprey records at Abberton have been September, October, November, apart from an April record in 1990, and June in 2001.

I've got some photos, but I haven't looked at them yet....

Bill Jolly
Mick Atzeni

Eastern Osprey

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Darn! Still waiting for my first local osprey. Haven't even looked like seeing one. Should have sent it up Murphy's Creek way.

Great record Bill! Now for a Brahminy Kite - another one I'm still waiting for.

Cheers
Mick
Bill Jolly

Eatern Osprey

Post by Bill Jolly »

Funny you should say that - I was looking at Brahminy Kite records this-afternoon, and the last one at Abberton was also in 2004.

Interestingly, we had several Brahminy Kite sightings here during 2001 and 2002 - both of which were also good years for Ospreys.

By the way, the last Abberton records for White-backed Swallows were also 2004! And they were plentiful here in 2000 and 2001 - practically everpresent from 1988 to 1993.

Perhaps the wheel has turned....

Bill

Bill

Return to “The Challenge - 2012”