Russet-tailed Thrush at Highfields

Provided flooding rains don't spoil the party again, only slackness will prevent us nailing 230+ species this year.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

This morning there was a Russet-tailed Thrush searching for insects along the creekline in Highfields Falls. Unlike views obtained of a probable russet-tailed thrush at Redwood Park several weeks ago, today I managed excellent views of a bird, it's finer scalloping on the backside obvious and the white outer tail feathers standing out markedly against the darker plumage as it took flight away from me.
Michael Wood
Pat McConnell

Russet-tailed Thrush

Post by Pat McConnell »

Well done Michael. That is a fantastic sighting for Highfields Falls and indeed the Club area.
Pat McConnell

Russet-tailed Thrush

Post by Pat McConnell »

Following on from Michael's sighting, Kath and I went to Highfields Falls on Sunday 21 October and saw two Russet-tailed Thrush along the creek near where the main track crosses it. A flock of White-browed Woodswallows was also seen overhead.
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Hello Pat

Congratulations to Kath and yourself! It is always nice to have these observations backed-up.
Michael Wood
Mick Atzeni

Russet-tailed Thrush

Post by Mick Atzeni »

I can't find the record but I reckon I heard a Russet-tailed Thrush at Highfields Falls a long time ago.

Just looking at my records for Russet-tailed Thrush in Redwood Park and see they are all in the early-Oct to early-Dec period as shown below:

7/10/1979
1/12/1981
29/11/1984
5/12/1984
11/10/1986

My 7/10/79 sighting was of two adults and two recently fledged chicks. I used to visit Redwood regularly so am surprised I have so few records if this species was resident. I'm suggesting it may just be a breeding Spring visitor along the escarpment and leaves once the chicks have fledged. Any comments? Sightings to the contrary?

Pat, what do the 1975-2000 records show?

Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “The Challenge - 2012”