Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Buff-banded Rail, et al.

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Mar 2012 - 31 May 2012. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Buff-banded Rail, et al.

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Australian Wood Duck 5/3/12 "Tiddalac", Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer Mick Atzeni
Pacific Black Duck 5/3/12 "Tiddalac", Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer Mick Atzeni
Purple Swamphen 5/3/12 Murphys Creek Rd, Upper Lockyer Mick Atzeni
Common Bronzewing 3/3/12 Stevens Rd, Murphys Creek Mick Atzeni
Fan-tailed Cuckoo 1/3/12 "Tiddalac", Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer Mick Atzeni
Common Koel 1/3/12 DEEDI, 203 Tor St, Wilsonton Mick Atzeni
Azure Kingfisher 4/3/12 "Tiddalac", Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer Mick Atzeni
Blue-faced Honeyeater 6/3/12 "Tiddalac", Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer Mick Atzeni
Willie Wagtail 6/3/12 Murphys Creek Mick Atzeni
Buff-banded Rail 5/3/12 "Tiddalac", Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer Mick Atzeni, Laurie Atzeni
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Buff-banded Rails

Post by Mick Atzeni »

There has been no shortage of Buff-banded Rails sightings in the survey areas over the last couple of years. You're a fair chance at any of the wetlands in Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley, provided there's enough cover. Rod Hobson did a great job of documenting an unexpected, successful breeding event at popular Lake Annand, in surburban Toowoomba two summers ago:

.://toowoombabirdobservers.org/forum ... php?t=2243

Here at Tiddalac I see one, sometimes two birds, on the creek bend below the cottage; the same section where the bush-hens were resident for weeks and bred. Whilst the bush-hens have apparently moved on, the rails still utilise this area of the creek.

Buff-banded Rails can also turn up in some bizarre places, sometimes well away from water. A recent example is Al Young's encounter at a local shopping centre, and I quote:
Folks,

Helen and I saw a Buff-banded Rail in the eastern end of the Clifford Garden carpark, near Westray St. on Saturday, 10/03/12. It was scooting along, probably looking for a parking space. Hope it doesn’t try to cross James St looking for a wetland!

Cheers,

Al

Previous odd settings for this species are reported here:

.://toowoombabirdobservers.org/forum ... .php?t=285

And all this has reminded me about the Baillon's Crake found in a shop in the Toowoomba CBD!:

.://toowoombabirdobservers.org/forum ... .php?t=847

Any others? Please share.

Cheers
Mick

Return to “Autumn Within - 2012”