Striated Heron

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Mar 2012 - 31 May 2012. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Bill Jolly

Striated Heron

Post by Bill Jolly »

It's often exciting to see what turns up on the first clear morning after a couple of days of rain!

A new bird for both Abberton and the TBO list, today Saturday, 26 May, 2012.

Scanning from the verandah at around 8.30 this-morning revealed a Striated Heron standing on the creek margin opposite. It made its way slowly upstream hunting as it went, and I managed several photographs, which I'll circulate.

It's also the first time I've seen a Striated Heron in the Lockyer Valley - bringing the list for the catchment to 326 spp.

Bill Jolly
Bill Jolly

Strited Heron update

Post by Bill Jolly »

The Striated Heron stayed around for a few days.

First seen on Saturday 26 May, around 8.30am, it worked its way along the creek that morning.

Seen again very late afternoon Sunday 27, a bit upstream from the house, dangling from low overhanging branches in the dusk.

Back a little downstream of the house on Monday, around 3pm, feeding in the open, and seen roosting about 5.30pm alongside the bush it was in on Sunday evening.

Tuesday morning, 7.15am, it was still in the same roosting spot from the night before, waiting like the rest of us for a bit of warmth in the day. Didn't see it thoughout the day.

No sign of the bird yet on Wednesday.

Bill Jolly

Return to “Autumn Within - 2012”