Australian Spotted Crake

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Jun 2012 - 31 Aug 2012. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.
Bill Jolly

Australian Spotted Crake

Post by Bill Jolly »

During a mid-morning break from planting lomandras on the creekbank, Michael Wood spotted an Australian Spotted Crake in the waterside grasses on the opposite side of the creek, today, Friday 17 August.

I missed the first sighting, but we both saw it again shortly after, and again an hour or so later after some lengthy scoping and scouring of the opposite bank. First Australian Spotted Crake here for many years.

We kept up the watch as much as we could throughout an afternoon of planting, but didn't see the crake again. When Michael left around 4pm-ish we'd seen 69 spp in the garden, including an Eastrn Osprey carrying a sizeable fish past the house heading upstream.

I had to choose between hanging out to make 70 for the day, or a late siesta - and I chose the siesta. There's always tomorrow....

Bill Jolly
Michael Wood

Australian Spotted Crake

Post by Michael Wood »

Great sighting, Bill. It was my first for Queensland, as it turns out. I find that somewhat unusual, given their distribution and numbers down south.

Correction on the numbers recorded for the day, though. When I got home and compiled the day's list it turned out we got 71 spp. in the end. So, we did break the 70 mark!
Michael Wood
Mick Atzeni

Spotted Crake

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Sensational record actually and congratulations Michael on picking it up because this is one of the least recorded species on the list.

I thought there had only been the one previous sighting - the pair seen on 17/8/1986 along the Spa-Iredale Rd at the old Kirk's site - so was surprised to learn this wasn't a new bird for Abberton. Bill, when was your other sighting/s? Pat, any others I've missed??

Regards,
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
kevin and kay williams

spotted crake

Post by kevin and kay williams »

nice one Bill and Micheal
We were chasing yellow throated scrubwrens and you got a spotted crake.
Nice place for birds Bill
See you soon kay and Kev
Bill Jolly

Australian Spotted Crake

Post by Bill Jolly »

Michael, previous Abberton record was 3 June, 1988. From memory, I'm pretty sure Rod was here at the time. We hadn't long been in the house, and the creek in those days was more similar to how it is now. Spotless Crake was here in October 1989.

Kev and Kay, where were you looking for the Yellow-throated Scrubwrens - and did you get them?

Bill
Pat McConnell

Australian Spotted Crake

Post by Pat McConnell »

Hello Bill and Mick. Up to 2000 the Club had seven monthly records of Spotted Crake. Although the three records for 1999 were probably the same bird.
1986 August
1988 June
1995 December
1996 February
1999 October, November and December

Regards
Pat
Bill Jolly

Australian Spotted Crake sightings

Post by Bill Jolly »

Hi Pat - can you tell us whereabouts these sightings were?

Bill

Return to “Winter Within - 2012”