Sooty Tern

Our tails are up. It's 250 or nothing this year! :-)
Michael Wood

Sooty Tern

Post by Michael Wood »

On what was an extraordinary day due to the fallout of Tropical Cyclone Oswald, four Sooty Tern (one juvenile and three adults) were present at a private dam near Helidon yesterday morning.
Last edited by Michael Wood on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wood
Mick Atzeni

Sooty Tern

Post by Mick Atzeni »

It has been a very bizarre weekend of wayward pelagic sightings.

Further to Michael's posting, I found a dead Sooty Tern yesterday afternoon at Upper Lockyer near the Thomas Rd turnoff. Have also learnt another live bird was picked up at Kingsthorpe but died shortly after being handed in to care.

I have some distant photos of the terns I saw at home if any seabird guru wants to have a go at a positive identification. Would love to confirm for Tiddalac list!

Yesterday, I also saw a Sooty Tern flying low over the Helidon railway station.

But that's not all ...

Cheers
Mick
Last edited by Mick Atzeni on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Bill Jolly

Shearwater at Abberton

Post by Bill Jolly »

Michaels Atzeni and Wood and I spent a while on the verandah at Abberton yesterday afternoon watching out for Sooty Terns.

None came by - but a shearwater appeared from over the house, flew above our heads, and down the creek. Only a few seconds viewing, but some unmistakeable features were evident.

After spending a lot of time with the books yesterday evening I find that, for me, tail length and shape, wingspan, overall size, absence of wing patches etc eliminate everything but Wedge-tailed Shearwater - though, I'm not sure that either Michael would want to take that view on such a brief sighting.

Michael A - didn't you spot another possible shearwater later in the day? What did you manage to see of it?

Bill Jolly[/u]
Mick Atzeni

Shearwater

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Bill

The bird I saw at Postmans Ridge was probably another Wedge-tailed Shearwater (WTS); perhaps the same bird. After the initial shock of seeing a shearwater over a paddock, I pulled the car over and got the bins on it briefly before losing it behind trees along the creek near Connoles Bridge. Jizz and general appearance was the same as the bird at your place. A uniform dark brown shearwater-type bird with relatively long tail. Kicking myself for forgetting to put my SD card back in the camera before I left home!

Adding further weight to our IDs is the fact that local wildlife carer Trish LeeHong has since had three WTSs brought into her. Pat and I went down to see them after work yesterday. One was found in James St near the Clifford Gardens Shopping Centre carpark yesterday so, in any case, we have yet another new bird for the Toowoomba list.

Trish also has another interesting seabird picked up at Oakey. Some sort of petrel. More to come on that one ...

Cheers
Mick
Last edited by Mick Atzeni on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Atzeni
Bill Jolly

Wedge-tailed Shearwater

Post by Bill Jolly »

Michael

I'll do up a submission for the WTS at Abberton.

Although you and Michael W were present, I'll base it just on my own observation and subsequent research into alternatives.

I've no doubt it was a Wedge-tailed Shearwater, and although I haven't got a photograph in the camera, an image of the bird appearing over the roof and then over our heads is indelibly in my mind!

Bill
Mick Atzeni

Wedge-tailed Shearwater

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Just to tidy things up here, I agree with Bill conclusion; I had the longest view of the bird and that is what I concluded too after doing my own research.

The Postman's Ridge bird was a probable WTS; certainly had the same jizz. Just didn't get enough on it to be 100% sure.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni

Return to “The Challenge 2013”