Black Kites

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Mar 2013 - 31 May 2013. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.
smyliekylie

Black Kites

Post by smyliekylie »

Approx 17 Black Kites seen from DPI (Tor St) towards Toowoomba Tip, and then directly above DPI.
Wednesday 20 March, by Mick Atzeni and Kylie Grose
Mick Atzeni

Hundreds of kites

Post by Mick Atzeni »

At least 200 Black Kites over work today travelling in ESE direction.

It follows sightings of numerous others in recent days including 100+ in one recently ploughed paddock at Grantham on Saturday while out birding with Russell Jenkins and Dinah Greenlees in the Lockyer.

Be interested to hear what others have been seeing.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

More Black Kites

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Even our webmaster Mark Garland is in on the act!

Yesterday morning Mark rang me to report and find out what all the strange hawks hanging around the Willowburn tip were. He reckoned there were at least a hundred.

It will be very interesting to see how long they stay around.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Been awhile ... but the black kites in such numbers is quite exciting.

At work (Beef City, Cecil Plains Rd) around mid morning on the 16th and 17th I counted groups of 19 and 8 respectively and then today in Westbrook there was a group of between 30 and 40 just on sunset.

I never knew such groupings happened with birds of prey, so to see it is simply mad. Wonderfully mad. I hope they hang around the Downs for quite some time.

Cheers Beers

Return to “Autumn Within - 2013”