Another unexpected winter record

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Jun 2013 - 31 Aug 2013. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.
Mick Atzeni

Another unexpected winter record

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Saw an eclipse male White-winged Triller at "Tiddalac" this morning. Very quiet and unobtrusive. I can't ever recall seeing this species in winter before locally, though I found out there have been a handful of other winter records over the years.

Also saw the Rufous Songlark and Western Gerygone again, and six budgies were seen by a visitor yesterday near the creek.

Definitely some interesting species lurking around home this winter!

Cheers
Mick
Mick Atzeni

Satin Bowerbirds down in the valley

Post by Mick Atzeni »

The unexpected keep rocking up at home. This morning a couple of Satin Bowerbirds dropped into the yard at "Tiddalac", both green-plumaged birds, one was a female, the other I didn't get to see well enough, before the resident Noisy Miners chased both birds away.

This is not only a new bird for the property but also the first time I've seen Satin Bowerbirds below the Toowoomba escarpment, in the Lockyer Valley catchment. Be interested to hear of any other records below the range.

Cheers
Mick

Return to “Winter Within - 2013”