Rabbits at Kaimkillenbun

It's not their fault they don't have feathers! Doesn't make them any less interesting. And just like the birds, it's good to know what species are about locally at any given time.

There's expertise within the club and beyond on most aspects of our local fauna. Let's tap into it.
Mick Atzeni

Rabbits at Kaimkillenbun

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A fortnight ago I was very surprised to see two rabbits on the Edgefield road about 10km from Kaimkillenbun. Has anyone else seen rabbits in that general region or even closer to Toowoomba?
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Michael Wood

Rabbits

Post by Michael Wood »

Mick, I too have been seeing the odd rabbit about. Last week, whilst on the way to Dalby I believe I saw at least two.
Michael Wood
Rod Hobson

Rabbits at Kaimkillenbun

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Rabbits have been in the Dalby-Kaimkillenbun area for well over a decade now. You can see them quite regularly around the residences on the Bunya Mountains at night.

There is a good population on the Kilkivan Golf Course and they've been there for well over ten year's as well. I used to see them in my headlights when I was coming back to Toowoomba from Fraser Island.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Rod Hobson

Rabbits at Kaimkillen

Post by Rod Hobson »

Mick,

I had a look at my 'local' mammal list last night and found several more personal records of Rabbit . These were from the Crows Nest - Cooyar Road and all were within the last four-five years. I've heard of a lot of other records of 'rabbits' from the Darling Downs but the chances that they are mistaken identifications of Brown Hare cannot be discounted.

The Brown Hare grows to a much larger size than does the Rabbit and has comparatively longer ears and long, powerful rear legs - a much 'lankier' animal altogether. They don't dig warrens as does the Rabbit, but sleep at the bases of grass tussocks, beside logs etc. in a compressed area called a form. These two animals may be confused especially if the observer gets but a fleeting glimpse of a departing animal. A good field mark to observe in such instances is the animal's tail. The very white and erect underside of the Rabbit's tail, called its scut, is highly visible on the fleeing animal whereas in the decamping Brown Hare the tail is tucked under and this white area is not visible.

I like Brown Hares. They haven't become the ecological disaster that has Brer Rabbit. Hares do have a habit of 'pruning' seedlings though and this doesn't endear them to gardeners, orchardists and foresters. The native Pale-field Rat (Rattus tunneyi) also plays havoc with seedlings, especially in exotic pine plantations. Other than this Brown Hares (and Pale-field Rats) do very little harm at all.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Last edited by Rod Hobson on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wood

Rabbits

Post by Michael Wood »

There were two very healthy and well fed rabbits near the Gus Beutell's Lookout, Ravensbourne National Park, yesterday afternoon.
Michael Wood

Return to “Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians & Bugs”