Rare orchid at Ravensbourne

Can't see the plants for the birds? Your birding will be far more meaningful, particularly, once the plant-bird associations gel. Somebody find me a botanist!!
Rod Hobson

Rare orchid at Ravensbourne

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

On the morning of December 4th fellow Queensland Parks and Wildlife employee Robert Ashdown and I travelled down to McErlean Road, Ravensbourne to inspect and photograph the rare Leafless Nodding Orchid (Epipogium roseum).

This orchid is also known as the Ghost Orchid because of its very pale white over-all appearance. Although rarely seen it is a widespread species also being found in Africa, Japan, India, Malaysia and Indonesian New Guinea.

The plant has a swollen, fleshy rhizome with its pale white infloresence the only part to appear above ground level. The hollow flower stem is pale, fleshy and brittle. The infloresences have a very short life span. The five Ravensbourne plants were in full flush when initially found by Peter Sparshott on the week-end of 29-30 November but were well on their way out when Robert and I saw them on Thursday. These particular plants were growing out of an old Australian Brush-turkey mound in rainforest heavily infested by privet. To flower the Ghost Orchid requires wood at a suitable stage of decay in which a mycorrhizal balance has been achieved.

Robert and I were very happy to see this unusual orchid and thanks to Peter and Kym Sparshoot for alerting us to its presence on McErlean Road.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Plants, fungi, etc”