Squatter Pigeons at Eskdale

If you can't find a pigeon-hole elsewhere, please post your observations here...

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Squatter Pigeons at Eskdale

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Last Sunday, 2nd inst. Mick Atzeni and I were doing some birding along the Esk-Crows Nest Road towards its eastern end in the Eskdale area. We were very fortunate to see, at very close quarters, a pair of Squatter Pigeons in courtship display on the roadside at about 10.00am. This species is a real treat to see in south-east Queensland these days where they are now very rare. So reduced are their numbers in this area now that this bird, the southern subspecies of the pigeon, is presently designated as endangered under Queensland legislation.

The courtship ritual that Mick and I observed consisted of the stereotyped bowing display of male bronze-wing type pigeons where the breast is lowered to the ground, the tail is spread and the wings are raised. At the same time the body feathers are fluffed out. Whilst this posture is maintained the male bobs up and down towards the female. One pecularity that we noticed that I can't find mentioned in any of my reference books, however is that the male in question also had his crown feathers raised in a small crest during his performance last Sunday.

The area we found these great birds was an open eucalypt woodland of ironbark and blue gum with a ground cover native and exotic grasses especially Black Speargrass (Heteropogon contortus).

It's been a long time since either Mick or I have seen a Squatter Pigeon in this corner of Queensland.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Bird notes”