A day in the Lockyer + Wivenhoe Lookout

Sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Sep - 30 Nov 2010.
gileas

A day in the Lockyer + Wivenhoe Lookout

Post by gileas »

Andy Jensen and I spent Saturday morning in the Lockyer Valley and returned to Brisbane via Mt Glorious. I was trying for Blue-winged Kookaburra, Little Bronze-cuckoo, and Red-browed Treecreeper, but unlike the roaring success of the previous weekend I failed on all my targets.

We did, however, have some notable sightings, including amazing views of Ground Cuckoo-shrikes at both Lake Clarendon and the Turf Farm, nesting Black-necked Storks at Lester Bridge, amazingly close views of Cockatiels on Adare Rd, and eleven species of raptors.

The highlights of the day were the Ground Cuckoo-shrikes, but also a family party of five Black Falcons at Lake Clarendon. The adults were hunting around the flooded grasslands, with the three (!) younger birds playing with each other in the trees across the far side. We enjoyed some amazing views of the adults passing quite close over our heads, though light conditions meant photography was basically impossible.

Our final interesting sighting of the day was a pair of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos hollowing out a eucalypt near Wivenhoe lookout. The tree itself seemed far too small to support a nest, but that hadn't stopped them chewing off nearly half the trunk!

In all we saw or heard 119 species for the day, a low-ish but respectable total.

Regards,
Chris

ps. with only 3 months to go before year end, can I ask everyone to please check out my list of wanted birds in Solo Efforts and let me know if you have any advice for me on my remaining targets?

Return to “Spring Beyond - 2010”