Australian Coral Snake

It's not their fault they don't have feathers! Doesn't make them any less interesting. And just like the birds, it's good to know what species are about locally at any given time.

There's expertise within the club and beyond on most aspects of our local fauna. Let's tap into it.
Brendon & Judi Gray

Australian Coral Snake

Post by Brendon & Judi Gray »

This week I had the pleasure of finding a tiny Australian Coral Snake in our garage. This is another new sighting for our patch and very exciting one at that, as they are rarely seen from what I have read. This one was only about half grown - full length is 30-34cm long. Checked him over as he had a few small spider webs on him and then released him back outside. Brendon had been doing some earthworks near the house only the day prior, so imagine this may have sent him indoors after being disturbed.

.://judithgray.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... snake.html

a couple of pictures can be found above.

a small bit of information regarding this snake:

Species name: Australian Coral Snake (Brachyurophis australis)

Other Common names: Coral Snake, Shovel-nosed Snake.

Significance to Humans: Virtually harmless and not considered medically important. Weakly venomous but considered harmless due to inoffensive nature and reluctance to bite.

General description: Small, smooth glossy snake, with numerous narrow ragged-edge bands of reddish-brown through orange-red to coral-pink, between narrow bands of creamy pale scales with dark edges. Black blotch or bar on head & broad black bar across neck. Belly bright creamy white. Tip of snout has sharp, upturned cutting edge (or rostral scale) which is used for burrowing.
Midbody scales at 17 rows.

Average Length: 30cm

Habitat in SE Qld: Found in wide variety of habitats but especially where dry, sandy soils occur.

General habits: Uncommonly seen and little known of habits. Nocturnally active, burrowing snake, generally stays beneath the soil and litter. Sometimes found above ground on warm nights. Shelters under soil surface or under stumps, rocks & logs during the day

Diet: Skinks and other lizards and reptile eggs.

Local distribution: Brisbane & Lockyer Valleys, Ipswich, Greenbank, Camira, Mt Crosby.
Rod Hobson

The Australian Coral Snake

Post by Rod Hobson »

Judi,

This is an interesting find and, by quite a coincidence, a juvenile of this species was found at Mc Ewan State Forest near Pittsworth last Sunday. This was during the course of a Toowoomba Field Nats outing that I had the pleasure of leading on the day. This inoffensive little reptile is quite widespread and relatively common but because of its retiring and nocturnal nature is not often encountered by the casual observer. I'd need to go back over my records but, off the top of my head, I know that I have found this snake at such disparate locations as Muttaburra, Rainbow Beach, Black Duck Creek near Gatton, Cement Mills, Maryborough Botanical Gardens, Texas, Somerset Dam and Glenmorgan. It's a lovely little snake for sure. Thanks for submitting this record.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians & Bugs”