White-browed and Masked Woodswallows over Middle Ridge

Should be a great year for waterbirds so let's go for broke - 250 spp for 2011.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

White-browed and Masked Woodswallows over Middle Ridge

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Large mixed flock drifted over home around 3 pm for about 20 minutes. Urge you to be on the lookout for them and reply if you see them as I'm keen to establish how long this phenomenon lasts. My best advice is to keep your ears out for their "check" calls as they are often quite high up and this is what gives them away.

Their eastward migration over Toowoomba range this time of year is not unusual - I was only commenting a couple of days a go to fellow birdo Plaxy Barratt that they were due - but more times than not they go unnoticed because they're on the move. Need more eyes skywards more often. You just might pick up a red gossie as well! :-)

Good to have both these woodswallows under the belt; hate missing stuff you know is out there for the taking .... somewhere.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Pat McConnell

Woodswallows

Post by Pat McConnell »

Mick good to see that you saw the woodswallows as well. Kath and I saw a flock of about 200 White-browed Woodswallows flying over Highfields on Saturday 17 September at about 9.30am. Did not see any Masked with them. That afternoon we also saw a flock of about 50 White-browed Woodswallows flying over the corner of Bridge and Lindsay Streets Toowoomba - again no Masked with them. Boths flocks were heading from east to west.

Return to “The Challenge - 2011”